Thursday, March 25, 2010

Life Lessons



A friend sent this to me at work. It suited what's been going on in my life for the last 4 mos. Life lessons really suck, but they're lessons for a reason.  As a writer, I know to put them in my story to make my characters grow, as a person--you prefer not to have to learn them.

My mom was one of those amazing people that should have been on this earth far longer than I had her. How could she leave before everyone knew just how amazing she was? But when I was standing there in the receiving line for the wake, I realized that there were SO many people out there that knew. I can't express how much easier that made things for me.

Yes, I cried when I saw certain people. Yes, the pain was unspeakable. Yes, I wouldn't wish this kind of thing on anyone, but the only good thing that came out of this were the lessons learned. My mom was one of those amazing people that never had a bad word for anyone. I saw that, but the number of people that came up to me and told it to me gave me a lot of peace.

They knew. It made it a little easier to deal with losing her, knowing that so many people would remember her.

She left a legacy that I hope to live up to.

2 comments:

Super_Kiwi said...

Tara,
For as long as I have known you--and from what I know about your mom. You already live up to her legacy and I mean that.

I love that you got to see how many people thought she was just as amazing as you already knew she was. That's a gift, and always remember that.

*muah*

Cari Quinn said...

This was a beautiful post...and with just these words, you're already building upon her legacy. She was so proud of you and she will continue to be. You honored her and you loved her and that is the most precious gift anyone can give someone else.

*muah*